Sunday, January 13, 2013

2013 Resolution: Read More!

I'm what you might call a binge reader.  I received Gillian Flynn's three books for Christmas:  Sharp Objects, Dark Places, and Gone Girl.  I read the first two in two days.  I am obsessed with them!  They are apparently both being made into movies.  The only person rumored to be cast so far is Amy Adams in Dark Places as Libby which I think is a good choice (although I see her more as the mother).

The third is Gone Girl.  Hmm.  I guess people really love it.  I tried to love it.  I do love her writing style, but I just can't get into it.  The thing that I love about her other characters are that most of them come up short on morals, but you root for them.  She somehow makes even the worst characters display a glimmer of likeability (albeit many times faint).  But with Gone Girl, I don't like or really care about anybody.  I don't like Nick.  I don't like Amy.  I don't like Margo.  I find them boring and kinda nutty with no good reason for being nutty.  Plus, Reese Witherspoon is going to be starring in and producing the film version which kinda makes me say ICK (even though I don't hate her, but I can't see it being good).

Anyway, I don't think I can finish it, but I'll probably read ahead to see how it ends. 

Any good book recommendations for me?  Anybody else read these books and love them?

No comments: