Friday, January 2, 2009

Popovers

I was trying to think of a whimsical title to this post. But, alas, I could not.


One of my absolutely fave restaurants is Marshall Field’s Café (aka Lakeshore Grille now). Every November 11, my mom comes to visit (it’s her birthday and I get the day off for Veteran’s Day), and we lunch at L.G. and shop. My idea of a decadent lunch consists of their popovers, lobster bisque and Oriental Salad with perfect(ly fattening) toasted sesame dressing. My MIL and bro both acquired the Marshall Field’s Café cookbook. I made the popovers today and not only are they soooo easy, they taste IDENTICAL.

I did tweak the recipe a tad because my husband used one of my designated eggs (I adjusted all other amounts and cooking time). Oh and I also just mixed everything together because I’m sloppy like that (they said to mix the wet ingredients first and then add the dry):

MF’s Popovers (Girl Land’s Version)
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put UNGREASED muffin pan in oven for 15 min (recipe says to spray first but the spray stunk up my house big time).

Combine the following in bowl and use electric mixer until frothy:
4 Eggs
1-1/3 Cups Whole Milk
4 T Butter
2-1/3 Cups Flour
¼ tsp salt
Spray heated pan with Pam and fill all cups evenly. Bake 30 min and if not sufficiently brown, decrease heat to 390 and cook 5 more min.

I wish I could have taken a picture of the finished product, but my muffin pans are grody. So let’s pretend this picture is them (photo courtesy of travelingfeast.net). We had them today with a variety of soups (potato leek, lasagna soup, and white bean with ham) and aged white cheddar cheese. Mmmmmm!



Also, our basement dude is finally coming tomorrow. Here is my scaled layout! I got it from http://www.floorplanner.com/. You can do one room for free, and it’s so great. If I ever have to lay out anything else, I’m going to buy an account. So user friendly and fun.



1 comment:

IamSusie said...

Popovers are a perfect food. I make them in pyrex custard cups on a cookie sheet. You don't need to preheat the glass cups because they get hot really quickly. Lots of cooking spray is the key to turning them out!