Wednesday, February 28, 2007

It's Okay to be Worried About Zombies

Some people know about my fixation with zombies and horror movies in general. It's hard to explain my fascination. I think it started with my being coerced into watching Friday the 13th when I was 8 years old and Poltergeist shortly thereafter. Or it could have been stumbling across my brother's Fangoria magazines which scared the bejesus out of me (I like this definition of bejesus by the way) but intrigued me at the same time. My taste in horror movies and zombie movies are probably not viewed as very sophisticated, but that's alright. I likes what I likes and I won't likes no more (or less)!!!


I stumbled across Tina's Etsy Shop one fine February day and had to ask her to make Q and I quasi-matching zombie shirts. I am embarrassed to say that on more than one occasion, I have thought, "What if zombies became an epidemic? I can't run very fast...maybe I'd just let them eat me...hmmmm..." Long story short, we received the tees today, I love them, and Q did too. She won't be able to wear it for awhile-- I ordered big, but we tied it over her shoulders and she meandered around the house and played (with it on her) for a solid 45 minutes before bed tonight. I think she, one day, may also worry about zombies. I want her to know that it's okay! It's a valid concern.

To round out this post, I shall list off to you 6 of my favorite zombie movies (I WON'T apologize for not including the original Dawn of the Dead or Evil Dead, see 1st paragraph) and 10 of my favorite horror movies (ditto for not including The Shining, The Exorcist, etc.). This is, by no means, a comprehensive list, but just a taste of movies that at some point or another affected my bejesus:

ZOMBIE MOVIES: 1. 28 Days Later (2002) 2. Night of the Living Dead (1968) 3. Dawn of the Dead (2004) 4. Night of the Living Dead (1990) 5. Shaun of the Dead (2004) 6. Land of the Dead (2005)

HORROR MOVIES: 1. The Haunting (1963) 2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) 3. Halloween (1978) 4. Halloween II (1981) 5. House on Haunted Hill (1999) 6. Waxwork (1988) 7. House of Wax (2005) 8. Children of the Corn (1984) 9. Frailty (2001) 10. Carrie (1976).

2 comments:

tinaseamonster said...

whoohoo!!! ;)

tina, the seamonster and worrier of zombies. my little ones wear this shirt, too. we have the most rad kids on the planet

Unknown said...

I carry around a list of my favorite horror films in my PDA. Here it is, in no particular order:

Halloween
Friday the 13th
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Evil Dead
The Ring
Scream
Nightmare on Elm St.
Silence of the Lambs
The Grudge