Sunday, September 16, 2007

Cinematic Couture

We decided to venture to our higher end mall today. We haven't been there in awhile, but over the past 6 years, all but 2 of our Crate and Barrel drinking glasses have bit the dust typically due to a tragic cycle in our dishwasher. Anywho, we decided high time to replace them. Good timing! My mother emailed me last night to inform me of their Cinematic Couture event at the mall. Being the celebrity junkie I am, this was right up my alley. I don't know how I hadn't heard of it.


It was fun, but the only dress I was REALLY excited to see was one Gwyneth Paltrow wore in Emma. Emma is one of my fave movies-- one that I could (and have) watch"(ed) over and over again. They also had costumes from Sense & Sensibility which is another "over and over" movie for me, but they were not as lovely as Ms. Paltrow's. There were also costumes from Phantom of the Opera (which were beautiful!), Miss Potter, Evita, Becoming Jane, Ever After, etc. You cannot believe how small those women are! Gads. Something fun on a lovely fall afternoon anyway.

More food preparation tonight. I don't know what's come over me! No, it was very simple and yummy and light. Roasted Apple Salad with Pecans from BHG for a late dinner tonight. I just received my Better Homes yesterday, and I was roped in by all the yummy-sounding apple recipes! Cheddar soup with apples and potatoes? Comfort food! I can't wait to try that next.

The salad turned out great, and I don't know why I don't use butter lettuce more often. We
usually use a spring green mix, but I really don't like raddicchio. I would have added some crumbled stilton though if we'd had any. It could have stood for a little bit of cheese. Again with the bad pictures:


Here is the recipe:

3 fuji apples, halved and cored
1T butter
3 T packed brown sugar
3 T pecans, chopped finely
1/4 cup canola oil (I used olive)
1/4 cup apple cider
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 T honey
6 cups butter lettuce or mesclun greens
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine oil, cider, vinegar, honey in container, stir and shake. Place halved apples on foil lined baking sheet. Brush with butter, top with brown sugar and pecans. Bake 15 minutes. Arrange lettuce on plate and divide up apples on top. Voila! It's supposed to make 6 servings, but Ryan and I wolfed all 6 down between the two of us. We were starving, and it was light! I went light on the butter (I only used half) and same with the dressing. You probably could use less oil too.
Saw another movie tonight! Fracture with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. Eh, it was ok. Entertaining for sure and kept my interest. And I love both AH and RG. I kept waiting for AH to tell RG he was going to eat his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! xo

3 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I just finished a post on Fracture myself. I thought it was pretty good. Love those dresses by the way!

Jessie said...

Love those apple recipes. It makes me feel all fall-like!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful dresses. That empire style is such a flattering style.