Friday, September 14, 2007

Fried Chicken Apple Tarts

I brought in Maple Glazed Breakfast Apple Tarts to work this morning. My photos leave a bit to be desired (they look like rectangular fried chicken). In fact, these pictures are REALLY grossing me out. As I’ve shared before, I rarely cook or bake, but this is one of maybe 5 things I don’t mind making. I can *almost* make them without a recipe. They really are good...really!

Anyway, I brought them in because I was featured in our monthly employee newsletter along with the recipe, so one of my co-workers (no joke) demanded they be brought in. Dang! I baked them last night and warmed them up this morning, so they were all gooey and warm. I, on the other hand, could not even look at them because I was nauseous…

Yes, my bloggy blog friends, Girl Land must make room for another wee citizen. I am not very far along, and when Ryan told me we should probably refrain from telling too many people, I told him to stick it. I gotta big mouth, and I gotsta be me. If something happens (knock on wood), I’ll tell you that too. I’m due in early May.

So now I’m just counting down to the date I can find out the sex (probably around Xmas). As I’m looking at my calendar, it’s sickening. We have something planned for 10 of the 13 weekends between now and Christmas. GADS. Fun things though-- Vacations, reunions, more vacations, birthday parties (Quinn will be having two this year, one for each side of the family… long story), etc.


Oh, in case you are interested, here is the recipe for the tarts. That’s my breakfast/brunch staple when we have guests: the tarts or Krusteaz blueberry scones, Adell’s Chicken Apple Sausage and fresh fruit.


Mapleglazed Breakfast Apple TartsRecipe Courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 medium Empire, Gala, or Golden Delicious apples
1/4 cup granulated sugar
17 1/4 ounce package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, beaten lightly with 1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup pure maple syrup

In a small bowl stir together cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Peel, halve, and core apples and cut into 1/4 inch slices. In a bowl toss apples with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface roll 1 sheet puff pastry into a 15 by 11 inch rectangle. From a long side, cut four 1/3 inchwide strips. From a short side, cut two 1/3 inchwide strips. Set pastry strips aside. Halve lengthwise what remains of rectangle and put halves on a baking sheet. Just inside pastry rectangles' edges, brush 1/3 inchwide borders of egg wash, reserving remaining egg wash. Arrange pastry strips on borders so that they are flush with edges of rectangles, trimming strips to fit. Spread creamcheese mixture inside borders on rectangles and top with apples. On a lightly floured surface roll remaining puff pastry sheet into a 14 by 10inch rectangle and halve lengthwise. Cut several 2 1/2 inch diagonal slits down middle of each rectangle (do not cut within 1-inch of edges). Brush pastry borders of appletopped tarts with some remaining egg wash and top each with 1 pastry rectangle. Press edges gently but firmly together to seal. Brush remaining egg wash over pastry tops and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake tarts in middle of oven 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden. In a small saucepan simmer maple syrup 10 minutes, or until reduced to about 1/3 cup. Brush hot syrup glaze over warm tarts. Serve tarts warm or at room temperature

Oh, just got done watching Year of the Dog. Very disappointing. Although, I really love Peter Saarsgard, it just kind of lost momentum and dragged on. Ryan and I always like Thomas McCarthy too. He played Molly Shannon's brother in the movie but also directed a movie Ryan and I both really love, The Station Agent.

Have a wonderful weekend, y’all! Love, Britney (ha).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You have to admit, thats pretty good timing... finding out the sex in December is a pretty good Christmas present, and NOT being pregnant anytime from the END of June through the END of August is a definite plus, (oof- hot, cranky, and pregnant I was in the Summer, I tell ya, hehe!)

And thank you for the apple tart recipe, it looks yummy!!!

Sarah and Jack said...

Congratulations!

Ijsbeer said...

Congrats on the pregancy! I hope it all goes well. I always wanted to be born in May:)

Sondra said...

Congratulations and Best Wishes! Can't wait to hear what you're having!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! Congratulations! You really sound like someone who enjoys her family and who enjoys life and that right there makes you a great mom! Woohoo! More great moms!
I saw your site when you had the contest but now I can't stop coming back because you're so interesting and funny and have cool stuff!

Melissa said...

Omg, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I am so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!

Cheshire Kat said...

Hooray! Hooray! New baby on the way!

I hope you are feeling well. I can't say that I know how it really feels to be pregnant, but I imagine it is a strange sensation.