Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Celebrity Sighting & Weird Cake

Ryan called me this morning to tell me that they were filming a movie downtown Royal Oak. So I threw Vivi in her sling with a camera, threw on my tennies and walked downtown. It is a Lifetime movie called Prayers for Bobby starring Sigourney Weaver. It's a true story about a woman who became a huge gay rights activist after her son committed suicide because of her religious intolerance of him.


Two other kids from a movie Ryan and I liked, Mean Creek, star in it as well. But I didn't get to see either of them. I was actually pulling for Carly Schroeder to get the role of Susie in Lovely Bones.


So I got there, and they were filming a parade scene. My friend's husband owns a business right along the parade route, so the three of us hung out and watched for awhile. It was fun! And we finally got to see Sigourney too. Here she is in a navy blue shirt in the background.



The whole scene was super cheesy, like all the people in the light blue shirts were showing her, "Look! All these people came out to support gay rights!", and her face was like, "This is amazing!" Totally Lifetime for ya. But it was fun nonetheless. Something nifty on an otherwise boring Tuesday afternoon.

Here are some more stills. Note the super huge balloon arch...


...that blew away when it got super windy.




My parents, aunt & uncle came for a visit today on their way down to the Fox to see Alison Kraus and Robert Plant in concert. I realized I didn't have any cookies or ANYTHING, so I whipped up this Weight Watchers cake. Except I didn't have canned pears on hand, so I used fruit cocktail. Weird, right? Oh well. It was pretty good. Not very sweet. It will be good for breakfast tomorrow with coffee.


Weight Watchers Sweet Pear Bread (2 pts per serving)

Ingredients
1 sprays cooking spray
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-grain wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp table salt
1 large egg(s), beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
7 Tbsp dark brown sugar
15 oz unsweetened canned pears, drained and sliced (packed in water) OR FRUIT COCKTAIL!
1/2 cup diet cola

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Combine egg, oil and brown sugar in a large bowl. Finely chop pears and add to egg mixture. Stir in soda. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just enough to wet batter; do not beat. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Slice into 16 pieces and serve warm.

And I cut these Annabelle hydrangeas and lavender from the garden this morning too.

2 comments:

Cristin said...

That's very cool.

There's a movie of Lovely Bones?? I loved that book...

CynthiaAvaDevta said...

Gorgeous Flowers...So jealous of that "table scape!" Way to go, Girl...on the WW Bread. Looks yummy. I'll try it over the weekend. Have you tried the brownies made with black beans? Awesome!